At the time of the grounding, the vessel a Panamax bulk carrier was in Loaded condition carrying 80,000 MT of Coal from Malaysia. Vessel was entering the Port of Hoping, Taiwan for discharging the cargo.
Weather conditions at the time of grounding:
Sea & Swell: NE X 3
Current: Variable 1-2 Kts
Visibility: >08 NM
Air Temperature: 30° C
Sea Temperature: 28° C
Wind: NNE X 3
Barometric Pressure: 1022
Vessel was entering the Port of Hoping in Taiwan(East Coast) under pilotage at the time of the grounding. Approx Draft 13.60 m EK.
Vessel had arrived at Hoping on 07 Jun 2019 and dropped anchor awaiting berthing.
- At 1030 – Vessel Anchor aweigh for berthing.
- Vessel departed anchorage and proceeded to pick up pilot for entering Hoping port on 08 Jun 2019.
- 1130 – Pilots on Board.
- 1149 – All tugs made fast. Vessel was doing COG 019, SOG 6.6 kts
- 1150 – Vessel entering port on a NNE’ly course between the W(South) and E(North) breakwaters at the entrance to Hoping harbour.
- Vessel crossed knuckle of W breakwater.
- Affected by variable currents at the mouth of the harbor. COG 012, SOG 7.8 kts.
- There are also shallow patches of 4.6m and 4.8m existing just off the W and E breakwaters, and the Pilot was trying to keep clearof these shoal patches as well.
- 1152 – Vessel passing close to E breakwater. Unable to maintain NNE’y heading due to strong set to starboard and altered to a NNW’ly heading to regain intended track. Vessel was doing COG 345, SOG 6.1 kts.
- Tugs assisting to help vessel regain track.
- 1153 – Vessel grounded forward close to the W breakwater on a heading of 344.
- Error in Pilot judgement – Strong variable currents not adequately assessed and compensated, leading to loss of control over vessel’s heading.
- Inadequate timely assistance by tugs due to late deployment and Pilot orders.
- Lack of intervention by Bridge Team due to lack of time and lack of assertiveness.